Trimming rhododendrons throughout the course was not on this years winter project list but it has become a major project on several holes. What started out as a small trimming project quickly became a big one on hole #14. We started by trimming a few areas to improve visibility but realized that it would not look right if we did not do the entire area between #14 and #16, so we trimmed. That led us to trimming around the 15th hole. Beyond the visual, the trimming will also have the added benefit of improving air flow and reducing shade which will help the turf. After finishing these holes, we looked at areas throughout the course that needed immediate attention. These include areas on holes #1, #2, #5, #6, #8, #9, #11, #12, and #17.
|Trimming left of the 1st green.|
|Trimming behind #16 green.|
|A view down the 14th fairway after trimming.|
Along with trimming, we have added irrigation to a couple of areas on the course. First, we added landscape irrigation to the beds at the tennis/pool facility. This area has never had irrigation and as a result the landscaping suffered. The new irrigation will complement the new landscaping that was planted last year. We have also added several new fairway sprinkler heads to #9 fairway. Since we removed several trees that were planted too close to the fairway, we are now able to widen the fairway (which we are doing) as the architect had originally intended.
|Prepping for sod.|
|New irrigation line on #9 fairway.|
|Lifting sod to level the fairway.|
|A "bird bath" in a fairway awaiting repair.|